Harvest a Healthy Smile
Fall brings harvest fairs, farmer’s markets and fruit and vegetable stands loaded with tasty and healthy treats. Here are some great snacks to eat that are doubly good because they’re also great for your smile!
- Make a great crunchy veggie platter. The markets are bursting with farm fresh carrots, celery, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. Crunchy, firm foods that contain lots of water (and require lots of chewing) are good for oral health because they stimulate the flow of saliva and can actually scrub tooth surfaces. Organic yogurt and fresh herbs create a heart healthy dip too!
- Find some strawberries and some dark chocolate with a high cocoa content. Dark chocolate has been shown to be beneficial to teeth and makes a wonderful dip for a variety of berries.
- Farmer’s markets feature cheese counters filled with a variety of flavours and types. Firm cheeses can make a great after dinner choice instead of a sweet dessert.
- The fish counter can offer lots of choices to make your smile bright. Salmon is loaded with phosphorus, an important mineral that may protect tooth enamel.Omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids can be found in fish, such as sardines, herring, salmon, mackerel, and tuna and also support dental health.
- Yoghurt, milk, ice cream, sour cream and other dairy products contain vitamin D, which allows the body to absorb calcium. Dairy free alternatives like almond and cashew milk also contain calcium. Calcium strengthens bones and teeth.
- Smoothies are always a treat! Made from an assortment of market finds-great fruit, yoghurt, and kale for a healthy twist. A yummy way to get kids big and small to enjoy good nutrition.
- Mix Broccoli, bok choy, kale, okra, collards, and other dark, leafy vegetables with some lean meats from the butcher counter to create a healthy meal that’s rich in protein, vitamins and minerals.
Healthy delicious autumn treats to help you smile.